Monday, December 30, 2013

The Robertson Controversy

Now that things have cooled down a little bit (and I'm done with the Christmas series) it's time for me to throw my two cents into the hat about the whole Robertson controversy.

I actually went and read the full article that was posted to GQ, because there were all sorts of things floating around on Facebook about what Phil said. Before I jumped into any sort of debate, I wanted to make sure I actually knew what got said instead of just listening to what other people said he said or didn't say. There is no sense arguing or debating over something if you didn't go read the facts yourself. Just saying.

I agree with everything he said. But here's the thing......the Robertson controversy is such a small piece in such a very big problem. On one hand, I'm thankful that the controversy did give the Christian community a small boost of courage. I'm thankful that some people who have been holding their silence felt strong enough about this issue that they finally spoke up. On the other hand, I'm deeply disappointed. Because I know that the only reason this was such a big controversy in the first place is because the TV show is so popular, especially among Christians, and everyone freaked out when they found out that Phil might not be on it anymore. And as long as Phil stays on the show, then people will stop complaining about his treatment by A&E and will go back to their couches.

The majority of this whole controversy was really about whether or not one of the most popular TV shows would go on because Phil said something that wasn't politically correct.
Sure, some people spoke up and said that Christians are expected to be tolerant of everyone, but no one is expected to be tolerant of us. And that's truth. But we are missing the forest for the trees on this one.

Where was the outcry when a baker in Colorado who refused to bake a cake for a gay couple because it violated his beliefs was ordered to bake the cake by a judge or face serious fines/jail time?  I didn't see anyone posting about his right to free speech.

Where is the outcry as a florist in Washington State face penalties for refusing to provide flowers for a gay wedding? I didn't see my Facebook news feed explode with that controversy.

What about the t-shirt company in Kentucky that is still in a legal battle because they refused to make t-shirts for a gay pride parade? I haven't seen people posting the link to an online petition to protect their religious rights.

And what about abortion? What about the genocide of disabled children? What about the clinics that are killing babies after they are born because the abortion didn't work the first time? Who is standing up for their rights??

Listen, I'm not trying to be a jerk about all of this, but really guys. We have been walking around with our eyes wide shut. We only open them when something interrupts our tiny universe.....like when we find out our favorite TV show might go away.

Do you know why pro-abortionists are winning all of the Congressional votes and court cases? Do you know why homosexuals will soon be able to sue a church for refusing to perform their wedding? Do you know why the welfare system is raging out of control?

Because the supporters are not afraid. They are fearless and ruthless in their pursuit.

Think about it. If a baker were to refuse to bake a cake for my wedding, what would I do? Probably tell my friends what happened, maybe even post about it on Facebook, and then go find another baker. Because seriously, if you don't want my money, then you're not worth my time. But because of the relentless attitude of the pro-homosexual movement, they decide it would be much better to sue the baker and force them to bake that cake (or face jail time) than to just walk down the street to the next baker.

See what I mean? That's fearless. Ruthless. Courageous. That's standing up for what you believe in. And that attitude has got the entire country afraid. That attitude is what caused A&E to almost immediately suspend Phil Robertson from the show. Because who wants a group that ruthless to come against them???? It would be better to cancel the #1 reality show on cable television and lose all of the money that comes with it, than face the mighty homosexual movement.

This saddens me to a degree that I don't think I will be able to express in writing. Church, where has our courage gone? What in the world are we doing? I'll tell you: we're not paying attention and we're not voicing our opinions. And because of our apathy and silence, our entire country is falling into total Godlessness and darkness.

Wake up!! Take on an attitude of courage and fearlessness. Start spreading your light into the darkness. I truly believe that if the Church of America would stop being so wrapped up in ourselves and our comfort zone and rise up to be the fearless Christ-followers we were called to be, America could be an even greater nation than it ever has been. America could be a country that fears God. A country that pursues righteousness. A country that walks in His blessing and protection.

It will take work. It will take courage. It will take a love that only God can give for the sinners of this world. It will take a boldness that only the Holy Spirit can send. It will probably mean that we lose some friends....maybe even some relationships with family members....maybe even our jobs. But we must unite in the Spirit of the Living God and stand up for righteousness.

The future of our country depends on it.

“If My people who are called by My name humble, themselves and pray and seek My face and turn from their wicked ways, then I will hear from heaven and will forgive their sin and heal their land.” ~2 Chronicles 7:14

1 comment: