Friday, December 27, 2013

Anticipating Christ: Return of the King

Yes, I realize Christmas was two days ago. So why am I writing another post two days after Christmas is over? Shouldn’t I be moving on to New Year’s Resolutions and stuff? Well, I suppose, if you think Christmas is just about December 25th, but I believe that Christmas means a little bit more than the 24 hour time slot we allot it every year. I believe that Christmas is something that should be celebrated all year long. Because Christmas is truly about Jesus, and how He came for us.
We’ve been through some of the details of His birth: the nasty manger where He first laid His head. The outcast shepherds who were valued by God to announce to the world that Emmanuel had come. The mysterious wise men, who travelled far and faced many dangers just to worship the King of the Jews. And then we went through the reason why He came in the first place.
Christmas is about anticipating Christ. It’s about His people longing for their Savior to come. He did come, over 2,000 years ago, so we no longer wait for the coming of a Savior to save us from our sins. Now we wait for our Redeemer to return, and call His church to be with Him for all of eternity.
Christmas is about knowing that He will come again to receive His bride. It is about taking on the attitude of the shepherds, and sharing the joy and knowledge of Christ with those around us. It is about taking on the attitude of the wise men, and fearlessly seeking to worship our King.
Yes, Jesus was born in a manger. Yes, He lived a humble life and died on a cross and rose again. But the next time we see His face, things will be a lot different. When He returns, Jesus will be in His full glory and power, and the whole world will recognize Him as the one true God and will bow to their face in worship.
I don’t know about you, but I’m ready for that day. I’m ready for the day when I get to see my Lord face-to-face. I’m ready to spend an eternity with Him. I’m ready for no more tears. No more sickness. No more death. No more struggle. No more pain. I’m ready for Emmanuel to return to us. And I want to make sure that every day I am living for Him, so that I will be ready for His return.
I hope that you have enjoyed this Christmas series. But more than anything, I pray that you anticipate the return of Christ, and that we all realize that Christmas means so much more than the value our society places on it.
Merry Christmas everyone!!

“Look, He is coming with the clouds, and every eye will see Him, even those who pierced Him; and all the peoples of the earth will mourn because of Him. So shall it be! Amen. ‘I am the Alpha and the Omega,’ says the Lord God, ‘who is, and who was, and who is to come, the Almighty.’” ~Revelation 1:7

No comments:

Post a Comment