Monday, February 3, 2014

Monday Musings

Here is a random conglomerate of thoughts that I put together for your Monday:
(I know, you can’t get over the fact that I knew the proper usage of the word “conglomerate”. Just move along, m’kay?)
The Super Bowl…..
Lame. Really lame. Except for the half-time show. That part was pretty good, but only because I really like Bruno Mars (not what he stands for, but let’s face it, the guy can sing and he’s an excellent entertainer) and there was (surprisingly) no nudity. Unless you count the shirtless Red Hot Chili Peppers, but then, those guys are always weird. So they don’t count.
Of Bruno Mars….
I posted the link on my personal Facebook page last night, but I thought it was worth repeating. Lisa Baker wrote an awesome post…..What to Teach your Daughter about Bruno Mars and Love Songs
Sure, lyrics like “when I see your face, there’s not a thing that I would change” make us ladies feel all warm and fuzzy inside, but the truth is that true love is not always warm and fuzzy. True love is really hard work, and you need a man that is going to do more than offer up poetic lyrics. You need a man that is willing to fight hard to keep a marriage alive, because some days it truly is a fight. Yes, there will also be those warm and fuzzy times too. And over the years you will (hopefully) find that there are more warm and fuzzy times than fight times. You just have to work to get to that point….and Hollywood never shows that side of love.
On a more positive note…..
This video is making its rounds on the Internet, especially since the Seahawks won the Super Bowl, but if you haven’t seen it, it is totally worth sixty seconds of your time:
#TrustYourPower – NFL’s Derrick Coleman, Seattle Seahawks
“They told me I was a lost cause. But I’ve been deaf since I was 3…so I didn’t listen.”
Click here to watch the video:#TrustYourPower
What more can I say? I love stories like this. They show my generation and the one coming up behind me that hard work and dedication truly can pay off. They show us to ignore the negativity that society likes to dish on us and chase after our dreams anyways. Also, the video makes me glad that the Seahawks won.
The Super Bowl commercials….
Lame. Really lame. Note: I really hate football. And all other televised sports events. Except for the Triple Crown and the Olympics…..those are okay. So when I am *forced* to watch the Super Bowl, I have high expectations for the entertaining commercials that usually air during the game.
Only except this year they were pretty lame. I only had a few favorites: The Doberhuahua commercial (hilarious), and the two Budweiser commercials. #SoluteASoldier made me cry like a little girl. And then the other commercial with the puppy and the Clydesdales was just adorable. Because puppies and horses. Enough said. (PS: I do not support Budweiser in any way, ever. But they do make some pretty awesome commercials.)
I love my husband, and here is one reason why….
Roman is not a sports watcher (thank God.) Occasionally he will ask to watch a baseball game and he always watches the Super Bowl and the BCS championship (did I say that right??), but in general my life is not filled with TV broadcasts of games and endless chatter about who should beat who and why that man in the shiny pants just tackled the other man in the shiny pants and why it was a good deed. Praise God, He was definitely looking out for me when He created Mr. Casterline.
Since my husband really doesn’t care all that much about sports, his reasoning for which team to cheer for was this: I will cheer for the Broncos because Broncos starts with a “B” and my last name starts with a “C” and “B” is right next to “C” in the alphabet.
Glorious reasoning. You can totally see why we are perfect for each other, right? I can. Except, I guess we should have been cheering for the Seahawks because their name starts with an “S” and so does mine. Oh well, better luck next year!
Enough about the Super Bowl….
My dog was standing in the doorway the other day and shook his head. When he did, he shook it so hard that he accidentally slammed his head into the side of the doorway. He scared himself so bad that he tucked his tail and hid in the corner for five minutes. I could not. stop. laughing.
Last week….
I wrote a post called “Church, We Have an Emergency.” It was kind of long, but I felt like it was really important and needed to be said. If you missed it, check it out!  :)

Okay, I think I’ll stop now. I’ll end on the Scripture verse that I used to open service yesterday at church, because it’s a really good one.

“Though you have not seen Him, you love Him. Though you do not now see Him, you believe in Him and rejoice with joy that is inexpressible and filled with glory, obtaining the outcome of your faith, the salvation of your souls.”  ~1 Peter 1:8-9

No comments:

Post a Comment