Thursday, February 13, 2014

Smorgasbord

Is it just me, or is “smorgasbord” a ridiculously strange word?
February is zooming by, but here are some cool things I’ve been reading online that I thought was worth a second mention (some of them have already been posted to my personal Facebook page.)
I have quite a few friends that are getting ready to get married. I’ve talked a lot on here about how beautiful yet difficult marriage can be, but this article said some things that I haven’t necessarily said, yet are totally true. I really love her perspective, and whole-heartedly agree with the statements she made at the beginning. It’s definitely worth a read!
I am vehemently against abortion. That’s one of those topics that really strikes a nerve with me. (Quick note: If you have ever had an abortion, you can be forgiven. This is not meant to make you feel ashamed.) Matt Walsh is an amazing blogger that writes fifty times better than me, so I really (really) loved his article, “‘Pro-choicers’: Here’s why you cannot support abortion while opposing puppy murder.” I’ve often wondered myself how people can so aggressively support abortion, while also being vegetarian or petition for whales and stuff like that. Makes. No. Sense.
Something that will always be big on my heart is missions. Going on my mission trip to Peru when I was fifteen rocked my world and forever impacted the way I see poverty. But sometimes, we forget that poverty is right at our back door as well. Kristen’s article, “The Two Questions Every North American Christian Must Ask Themselves” reminded me once again that you do not have to search far to find people that desperately need us to be the hands and feet of Christ.
On a much less serious note, this spoof had me laughing for a really long time. Roman read the first paragraph and said he couldn’t take it anymore, but I read the whole thing and almost died laughing. What was so funny was me and my co-worker were just talking about how it seemed like no one had any writing skills anymore…..even the big-wigs that get paid the big bucks. (Note: not talking about any of my bosses, just America in general.) Right after she left for the day, I stumbled across this article. Perfect timing! And now I'm re-reading this post so that I'm not hypocritical with numerous grammar mistakes.  ;) 
I’ve mentioned a few things that I’m scared of, but I don’t know if I’ve ever mentioned the one animal that truly terrifies me. As in, don’t even make me walk close to the enclosure at the zoo because I'm so scared. And that animal would be the crocodile. Something about an animal that hides really well in the water, has enough power to snap your body in two, and likes to finish killing its prey by dragging it under the water and drowning it just gives me the creeps. I seriously have a plan of action on how to get away from one if I ever see it: run as fast as I can until I can get to a tree and then jump in the tree and hide there forever while cry-screaming hysterically. And then I read this article today on Fox News, “Crocodiles are able to Climb Trees, Study Says.”
This is the worst news ever. Now, anytime I’m near a body of water I’m going to have to look up to make sure a crocodile isn’t chilling out on a tree limb waiting to jump down like a ninja and take my arms off. #worstfear

And just a nice reminder to all my dude-readers: Hey guys, Valentine’s day is tomorrow. Be sweet to your ladies, m’kay? Don’t forget!

“Rejoice in the Lord always; again I will say, rejoice. Let your reasonableness be known to everyone. The Lord is at hand; do not be anxious about anything, but in everything by prayer and supplication with thanksgiving let your requests be made known to God. And the peace of God, which surpasses all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus.” ~Philippians 4:4-7

No comments:

Post a Comment