Wednesday, June 26, 2013

Run-tastic

Two nights ago I dreamed that Christina Aguilera was chasing me across Alaska with a gun. She was trying really hard to kill me. I raced through snow and department stores and woods in an effort to get away. She eventually caught me, but then someone caught her attention long enough for me to get away. The last thing I remember before waking up was running into the woods hoping she had not noticed which way I went, because I was getting pretty tired.
Yesterday marked eight weeks since my knee surgery. Although I have not been running from Christina Aguilera, I have been running—for the first time in over a year I am able to exercise and go about my daily life with no pain. I really can’t express how wonderful that is.  
People have many different ways of relieving stress: some paint or draw, some play music, some bake yummy treats for their friends. I would always run. If I ever had a bad day at school, I would wait for the final bell to ring, change into my running clothes, and take out all of my frustration on the track. But with my knee injury at the end of my senior year in high school, it’s been a long time since I’ve truly been able to do that. Sure, I was able to handle jogging every now and then. For a long time I was able to tolerate the pain enough to run about every three weeks. After further damage was done last summer though, I haven’t run more than a few steps (while playing with my dog) in almost a year. Just sitting still was painful enough, and it became impossible for me to even add in speed-walking. I think the hardest part about it all was not the pain, but just the fact that I couldn’t pursue that outlet anymore. Exercise has always been such a huge part of me, and not being able to do it (while gaining fifteen pounds) got to be quite a discouragement. 
I’d like to give a huge shout out to all of my doctors (not that they read this) for helping to make me better. My surgeon, my physical therapists, and all of the nurses who assisted with my operation/recovery were able to give back a huge part of who I am. More than anything though, I’d like to thank my Lord…after all, He is the true Healer in all of this. I was released from physical therapy after only four weeks—which is quite the miracle. I have had zero complications and zero pain since starting back to my exercise routine three weeks ago. I’ve already gained back almost all of my muscle mass in my legs (now to lose the jiggly stuff in my thighs haha) and I can already run a mile and a half without stopping. I know without a doubt that God had a hand in my recovery because this has just been so easy. I joke with Roman and my parents that if I had known all of this would be as easy as it has been, I would have had the surgery five years ago (although it wasn’t torn five years ago, so they wouldn’t have operated in the first place, but you know what I mean.)
For all of the concerned citizens out there: don’t worry. I’m not doing too much too fast. I’m staying away from running on hard surfaces…right now I’m only doing the treadmill so it’s less impact. And rather than just running, I’m also spending an equal amount of time in the gym lifting weights so that ALL of my leg muscles are getting stronger. My doctor expressed that this was key for my knee to continue in good health, and my lack of gym-time is probably what caused my injury in the first place.
One thing is certain, and that is I am very happy to be back in the game. I’m already sleeping better, I’m feeling better, and I’m making sure that I’m treating my body right. Thank you to everyone who prayed for me and asked about me over the past eight weeks! God has certainly answered our prayers in a big way!
“Is anyone among you sick? Let him call for the elders of the church, and let them pray over him, anointing him with oil in the name of the Lord. And the prayer of faith will save the one who is sick, and the Lord will raise him up. And if he has committed sins, he will be forgiven. The prayer of a righteous person has great power as it is working.”  ~James 5:14-15

No comments:

Post a Comment