Tuesday, July 2, 2013

When Life Gives You Lemons.....

Some things are simply out of our control.

I am a federal employee, which means starting next week I will be furloughed one day a week for eleven weeks. I will lose over $500 out of my monthly income. This is completely out of my control.
Roman and I are planning a day trip to the beach this Friday since both of us are off work. I just looked up the weather, however, and there is a 70% chance of rain. We will have to watch the weather over the next couple of days and make a decision to drive down there or stay at home. The weather is completely out of my control.
I’ve been battling a weak immune system and a couple other health issues. It has been a stressful and trying time, but I have made some progress. For the most part though, these issues are out of my control.

Encountering situations in life that are 100% uncontrollable can be a frustrating and stressful experience. We try to contain the situation. We worry about what’s going to happen next. We lose sleep over how we can make it through in the easiest way possible. Granted, sometimes planning is necessary, but a lot of times we stress ourselves out over something that we can’t change in the first place. I’m learning to live by a new motto:

Pray about the things you can’t control, and focus your attention on the things you can.

I can’t stop a national furlough of federal employees, but I can be smart with my money in order to make sure I have enough money to pay the bills.
I can’t stop it from raining on Friday, but I can choose to have a great day whether it’s at home or at the beach.
I can’t completely fix my health issues, but I can practice healthy living habits to make sure I’m in the best shape possible.

When you add prayer to this little recipe, you will learn to find peace in these uncontrollable situations:

Jesus, please provide for us as we go through this financial storm. Give us wisdom and self-control over our finances through this furlough, and then help us to better prepare for the days to come.
Jesus, we ask for a restful and fun day this Friday as we spend time together. Whether it’s at the beach or at home, help us to have a peaceful and safe day.
Jesus, heal my body. Make me stronger and help me to make the right choices so that I can treat with respect what You’ve given me.

What difficult situations are you facing today? Are you worrying over things that you can’t change? Let me encourage you to try something different: pray about the things you can’t change, and focus your attention on the things you can.
“Therefore I tell you, do not worry about your life, what you will eat or drink; or about your body, what you will wear. Is not life more than food, and the body more than clothes? Look at the birds of the air; they do not sow or reap or store away in barns, and yet your heavenly Father feeds them. Are you not much more valuable than they? Can any one of you by worrying add a single hour to your life?”  ~Matthew 6:25-27

No comments:

Post a Comment