Monday, January 6, 2014

Overcoming Guilt

I woke up Sunday morning, ready to start my day.

But within minutes, my mind was assaulted with shame and guilt.

I got in the shower and tried to hurry while the enemy dragged up sins from my past....things that I have done that I haven't thought about in years. He drove those failures deep into my soul and by the time I got out of the shower, I wanted to just skip church and crawl back into bed.

Through all of the noise in my head, I felt God calling me to meet with Him. I quickly grabbed my Bible and the devotional I'm currently working through (Whispers of Hope by Beth Moore) and headed to the kitchen table. 

“This is the message we have heard from Him and proclaim to you, that God is light, and in Him is no darkness at all.  If we say we have fellowship with Him while we walk in darkness, we lie and do not practice the truth.  But if we walk in the light, as He is in the light, we have fellowship with one another, and the blood of Jesus His Son cleanses us from all sin.  If we say we have no sin, we deceive ourselves, and the truth is not in us.
 If we confess our sins, He is faithful and just to forgive us our sins and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness.  If we say we have not sinned, we make Him a liar, and His word is not in us.”  ~1 John 1:5-10
The passage of Scripture for yesterday's devotion was undeniably perfect and divinely appointed. Beth went on in the devotion to talk about how the enemy will try to drag us down, to make us feel so guilty and full of shame that he stops us from doing any work for the Kingdom of God. God opened my eyes to the mental and spiritual assault that was being launched, and I immediately claimed 1 John 1 over my life.

Maybe this morning you are going through the same thing. Maybe you woke up this morning and as soon as your feet hit the floor the enemy launched his attack. Maybe you don't feel like you are truly forgiven for that thing you did last month, or last year, or three years ago.

If so, I hope that you will take this passage of Scripture and declare it in your life because there is no sin too great that He cannot forgive! Don't let the enemy shove shame and guilt in your face for something that God has already cleansed from your heart! We are overcomers through the blood of the Lamb!

Happy Monday, everyone! I hope we all have a great week!  :)  :)

"If we confess our sins, He is faithful and just to forgive us our sins and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness." ~1 John 1:9





No comments:

Post a Comment