Tuesday, June 12, 2012

A Whole Lot of Stuff

I debated for a few minutes on what to call this post.... "Cruisin' (Part 3) & New Year's Resolutions"? "How Has it Already Been a Year since I Turned 21"? "Cruisin' (Part 3)"? "Too Much on My Mind"? So I gave up and came up with the most original name I could think of. "A Whole Lot of Stuff". I know, I'm a genius.

Anywho, let this serve as a warning to you people who might hate reading.....just skip to the end and look at the pretty pictures. Because I have a whole lot of stuff to say. So here it goes, don't say I didn't warn you.

Today I turn 22 years old. If you want to be all technical about it, I was born around 3:30 so I'm still 21. And yes, I do want to be all technical about it because I inherited my sister's dislike for birthdays. Don't get me wrong, I love presents and I love being alive, but life just goes by way too fast and birthdays are good reminders of that. I mean, has it really already been a year since I turned 21? This has got to be some sort of joke, right? Sheesh, time has really got to start slowing down! Just the other day I was talking to a friend from high school. We were totally amazed that it has now been four years since we graduated high school and now we're graduating from college!!!! Aaaaah!!!!!!! Next time we turn around we'll be pushing thirty. So if I have any readers that are still in middle school or high school, quit wishing for the future because the next time you blink you'll be turning 22. And you also won't remember a thing you learned from high school.....other than how to sleep and still take notes.....and how to pee, change books, and walk to the other side of campus in under four minutes. (okay fine, I do remember some other stuff too....it's just not as fun to talk about.) ((stay in school guys!!))

Yes, I am well aware of the fact that turning 22 does not make me old. And I am also aware of the fact that I should be grateful for my birthdays because that means I'm still alive. I'm just saying, the clock needs to go on summer break or something. Goodness.

Bahaha...I just noticed the clock on my computer says it is 2:22. And I'm turning 22. Yay for twos! You will have to excuse me, I had caffeine today so the ADD is going to be really really really bad.

Back on track!! So the moral of the story is, enjoy your life because the clock hates all of us and likes to run laps around our birthdays. While at the same time making Monday-Friday last for an eternity. That clock sure is a sneeky one!

So anyways, I have a "New Year's Resolution" list of sorts to share with you guys. Seeing as how I am entering into my personal new year of living.  I figured maybe if I post it for all the world to read, I might do a better job of actually doing it. Time will tell.
  1. Be more timely (work, church, etc. I really stink at being on time. Seriously guys.)
  2. Complete a duathlon (same as a triathlon, just without the swimming. Which is good because I unfortunately do not own an Olympic sized pool or a lake to train in.)
  3. Achieve an overall level of fitness (more on that later)
  4. Move out of that darn trailer mobile home.
I think that's enough for one year, don't you? As far as my plan to achieve all this....I kinda sorta have one....

As far as being on time goes, that's a self-discipline issue that me and God are working out. I have always been a person who struggles to be on time for anything. I think that means I was meant to be a Hispanic and God must've put me in the wrong country. (That was not a racist comment....the Hispanic culture doesn't place as much value on time as we do. Therefore they will be late for work because it is more important to stop on the sidewalk and talk to a family member than be on time.) So God is working on my stubborn self as far as getting out of the bed and into the shower goes. There are a lot of other mental/emotional factors that play into my extreme late-ness, but I'm not going into that here.

The duathlon is simple. There's one in Albany in September. I am going to sign up. I am going to compete. And I'm going to get my lazy self to train for it between now and then so I don't die while completing said race. The end.  :)

Achieving an overall level of fitness is something that I've got to do. I think that my high school years of eating nothing but a bag of chips for lunch and then running seven miles that afternoon has caught up with me, seeing as how my immune system stinks. This was an issue my doctor brought up with me at the beginning of the year. I've got to start incorporating more healthy foods into my diet because my immune system is not going to work for me unless I give it the right kind of fuel. I also read a really great book a few weeks ago called "Made to Crave" by Lysa TerKeurst that I believe is going to help me on this journey. Disclaimer: This is NOT a diet. I do NOT think I'm obese. So please, no comments on how I'm skinny as a bird and can eat whatever I want to. Because the fact of the matter is, since I've been married I've gained 15 pounds and have lost my ability to run over a mile without severe gasping for air and thoughts of eating chocolate. So this isn't about looking like a model out of a magazine, this is about me wanting to take care of the body God gave me so I can live as long as possible without having a heart attack or stroke or high cholesterol or any of that other mess that comes with eating fast food five times a week. (No, I don't eat fast food five times a week, that was an exaggeration.) Whew! Enough of that! (PS: Do you know how hard it is to do a push up with a cute puppy laying underneath you? Especially when he insists on licking your face every time you lower your wobbly arms down towards the floor? Well, let me tell you, it's hard!!)

Last goal: moving. The mobile home has served us well during our first couple of years of marriage, but quite frankly, 85 degrees during the summer while the air conditioner runs all day and gives me an electricity bill higher than my parents who live in a two story house is getting really old for us. Along with the fact that the hot water heater only provides 15 minutes of hot water. And there are cats living under our trailer. And the floor still feels like one day its going to fall through in the laundry room. So yes, we are ready to move. Hopefully by the end of this summer, Roman will know something from all the jobs he has applied for. The goal is, once he gets a job, we find a house for rent somewhere close by but still in the country. So I'm really praying God makes that a reality for us. Lord forbid we have to spend a third summer in that hot trailer.

So there. It's all in the open now. Those are my goal for this coming year, and of course I'll be sure to keep you guys posted on how things come along. Hopefully my 22nd year of life is full of some big changes!  :)


I also wanted to share a valuable lesson I learned today. It's not like I haven't heard this lesson before, it's just that today God proved it to me and I thought it was cool. A few days ago, a higher employee in my office sent an e-mail about me. I'm not going to go into a bunch of details, but let's just leave it at this: my feelings were slightly hurt by the words she said and who they were said to. My instinct was to make a big deal out of it. I wanted to tell my supervisor. I wanted to rant and rave and talk about how unfair it was. But for once, my stubborn head listened to God as He told me to just let it go and calm down. And I did. I quit talking about it. I forgave the person. And I didn't let it ruin my day. Today, that individual came to me to apologize. She explained her actions, and I was quick to give her forgiveness and assured her that everything was fine between us. This NEVER would have happened had a made a big deal out of the situation last week like I wanted to. After she left my cubicle, God quietly said, "You just have to let me handle things like this. I do it better than you can." Moral of the story: it really is better if we just shut our mouths and let God handle our conflicts for us. He sees the bigger picture. And we're not showing people His love by blowing up every time something doesn't go our way. Cool, huh? Hopefully now that I've experienced this golden nut of truth, my mouth will stay shut more often at work.

Told you this would be a long one. For all you people who are just scrolling through looking for the pretty pictures, here they are! These are some pictures from our visit to the Cayman Islands during our cruise two weeks ago. The beach and the water here was so pretty, but unfortunately there was a lot of construction and development going on inside the city. You may see some of the cranes in the background and you'll see what I mean. But still, I loved the beach!



Coming up to the shore


Our boat is on the right


Hello Carnival!


Tiny church tucked into the busy street. Love it.


The beach! Along with a nasty storm forming off the coast


All smiles for us!


Another shot of the beach


Tried to capture how clear the water was, this picture doesn't do it justice!


Back on the boat watching the last ferry deliver passengers.


Bye Cayman!

"So Jesus called them over to Him and began to speak to them in parables: 'How can Satan drive out Satan? If a kingdom is divided against itself, that kingdom cannot stand. If a house is divided against itself, that house cannot stand. And if Satan opposes himself and is divided, he cannot stand; his end has come. In fact, no one can enter a strong man's house without first tying him up. Then he can plunder the strong man's house.'"           ~Mark 3:23-27

No comments:

Post a Comment