Friday, July 13, 2012

I Did It

Yup, that's right. I did it. I went to the building that smells like sweaty socks (a.k.a. the gym at work) and got the physical assessment done. She's going to work up my fitness plan over the weekend and I will start hitting the weights on Monday. I am excited because I finally got off my butt and did something, but I am nervous because I hate doing hard things, and getting back into shape is definitely in the "hard" category.

So how did the assessment go, you might ask. *insert sarcastic snort here* Let's just say, I have a lot of work to do.

I weigh 140.2 pounds. That's the most I've ever weighed in my life. That means I've gained almost 20 pounds since I got married two years ago. Yikes!!

She did the body fat percentage estimate by pinching the back of my arm, my hip and my thigh. I will not disclose my current body fat percentage or body mass index, mainly because I was too scared to look at the paper so I still don't know.  0:)  But if this is any indication.....

When she pinched my arm it became obvious that my biceps and triceps could quite possibly be only the size of a pencil. When she pinched my hip, well....I won't get into that. And when she *ahem* attempted to pinch my thigh, she exclaimed "wow, you have hardly any muscle there at all. I can't really get a good reading because your thigh is so soft, so I'll just make an educated guess."

Ouch....did you really have to say that??

But you know what? That's okay. I am not oblivious to the fact that I gained weight after I got married. And it really does not bother me that much. I'm not doing all of this so I can have a Hollywood body. I'm doing this because I want to live a long and healthy life. I want to be strong, both physically and mentally, and exercise is the best way to do that. Of course, I won't complain if my body looks like someone from Hollywood after a few months of my hard work (*wink*), but I'm not going to throw a fit and cry in the closet if it doesn't.

Which makes this the perfect time to share a quote that I have on my wall at work. I've also posted it as a Facebook status, so some of you may have already read it.....

"I am hysterical and brilliant but not a size two.....God had to be fair!"    Love it!

Oh yea, and she confirmed something else that I had already figured.....my diet sucks. She said it was the nutritionist's job to go into detail what I should be eating, but basically I don't get enough protein in my system (especially for someone who is already running almost every day), I eat too much starch at night (apparently you should get all of your starches out of the way as early in the day as possible), and I need way more fruits and veggies. She gave me a few suggestions to go ahead and start trying, but I don't buy groceries again until next Friday so some of them will have to wait.  :)   (Update: I forgot to mention in the original post that she did say the words "eat clean" several times while she was talking to me. So I'm really excited to meet with the nutritionist and see what she has to say about clean eating. I'll keep ya posted!)

I do not know exactly what exercises we will be doing until Monday, but here is a run-down of the schedule:

Monday: Weights-upper body (at the gym)
Tuesday: Abs, Cardio (at home or at gym)
Wednesday: Weights- back and lower body (at the gym)
Thursday: Abs, Cardio (at home or at gym)
Friday: Abs, Cardio (at home or at gym)
Saturday: Cardio (at home or at gym)
Sunday: Rest (hallelujah)

One thing that really makes me happy in all of this is the flexibility. I only HAVE to go to the gym two days out of the week. And with a busy person like me, that makes me really happy to have so much flexibility. One of the things that held me back from doing all of this was I was scared that I would be confined to spending hours every week in the gym and I knew I just didn't have time for that.

So that's about it for ya folks! I will of course keep all of you updated in the sweaty-socks smelling adventures. I hope all of you have a lovely weekend, I know I will be doing lots of cleaning and sleeping.....   ;)

"So I say, live by the Spirit, and you will not gratify the desires of the sinful nature." Galations 5:16

No comments:

Post a Comment