Friday, March 29, 2013

Good Friday

All over my Facebook news feed, it seems that America is in a social war. Red and white pictures are everywhere: equal signs, crosses, two men, two women, a man and a woman…..if you do not know what I’m talking about then consider yourself lucky. Because it’s everywhere.
I thought about writing a blog post over all of it. In fact, I wrote one on Wednesday, hated it….wrote another one yesterday and hated it too. It’s not that I didn’t have much to say, quite the contrary! Both times I wrote almost two pages and I probably could have written another two or three. It’s just, I don’t know. It didn’t feel right for me to post it.
Today is Good Friday.
But you would never know it if you looked at the fighting on Facebook. It seems that Christians are too busy arguing over marriage rights to remember…..Him.
Redeemer.
Saving Grace.
King.
Lord.
Friend.
Don’t get me wrong, it is important that we stand up for what is right. But it’s also important to stand up for what is right while still showing love and mercy to the lost. And more important than anything, we need to share Jesus. We need to share the knowledge of His sacrifice. His mercy. His love. His grace. His forgiveness.
Today is Good Friday. Just over 2,000 year ago today my Savior died.
He was mocked. He was beaten. He was broken. He was tortured in the cruelest way. He deserves to have our respect and our obedience every day, but particularly over the next three days as we “celebrate” Easter. Because the story doesn’t end with His death, it was just beginning. Three days later He conquered death and rose from the grave. He restored God’s relationship with mankind by conquering our sin and gave us the opportunity to spend an eternity with Him as long as we commit to follow Him the rest of our days. We no longer have to walk in shame and guilt. We no longer have to face the eternal consequences (death and suffering) of our iniquities. How wonderful!!  
I wonder what would happen if all of my Christian Facebook friends started flooding the news feeds with Scripture? If everyone proclaimed the saving gospel of Christ and nothing else over the next three days? No status updates about homosexuality. No game requests. No “like this if you ____, share if you ____” statuses. No updates about what you ate for dinner or what dress you plan to wear on Sunday. I wonder if the world would start to realize that Christianity isn’t a dead religion. That Christians actually do care about their Savior. I wonder if it would make them a little bit curious. Perhaps some of the negativity we so often see on Facebook would fade away as the love of Jesus floods across the world online.
I’m going to do it….and I would love it if you joined me. It’s only for three days after all, surely it cannot be that hard to post about only Jesus for three days. And I suspect that it will start to change and soften our hearts as well as we search for Scripture to post and as we proclaim the gospel to the world. Isn’t that our main mission in life anyways?
“But He was pierced for our transgressions, He was crushed for our iniquities; the punishment that brought us peace was on Him, and by His wounds we are healed.”  ~Isaiah 53:5
“Greater love has no one than this: to lay down one’s life for one’s friends.”  ~John 15:13

No comments:

Post a Comment