Friday, May 10, 2013

A Tribute To My Mom

When I was little, my younger brother got in more trouble than me…..boys generally do. Lots of times, my mom would just wait until my dad got home. The dread of waiting the rest of the day for our dad’s return was just as bad (if not worse) as the spanking we got soon after. But there were a few times that I can remember that mom didn’t wait for dad to get home. I have no idea what he did, but my little brother did something bad. My mom reached for him….and he ran.

It is never a good idea to run from your parents when they are trying to discipline you. Never.

I remember sitting on the couch watching them run around the big coffee table in front of me. I wanted so bad to trip one of them, but I couldn’t figure out which one. If I tripped my brother, then he wouldn’t share his toys with me. If I tripped my mom, then I would be in big trouble too. Thankfully she caught him before I had to make up my mind.

My mom is one strong lady. She will exercise with a hurt knee and scrub her house from top to bottom when she’s sick. She’s taken great care of all five of her children. I’ve seen her love all five of us with a fierce love. She prays over us daily…through the hard times and the good. She is wise in her advice and you can always count on her to lend a listening ear. She is kind to friends and stranger alike, and visits the sick in the hospital often. She loves Jesus and reads her Bible every day. She is the perfect example of a godly, Proverbs 31 woman.

She was my absolute best friend growing up, and she still is today. I’ve always told her everything…..from who made fun of me at school that day, to what I was thinking about going to college for, to who I wanted to marry. She taught me how to tie my shoes and write, and she always took great care of me when I was sick. She let me cuddle up with her when the boogie monster came to visit and promised me that the thunder would not do anything to hurt me.

And if you know her, then you also know that she adores her four-legged children too. But don’t you dare bring a snake around her…..you’re dead meat then, and so is the snake.

I’m not a mother yet, but I can tell you that I’ve got a good one. And she set the bar pretty high when I do become one. I thank God all the time that He gave me such a great woman to call my mom. She is the perfect example of how I want to be when I grow up.

Mom, happy Mother’s Day. And thank you so much for everything you have done for me. I love you!

“Her children rise up and call her blessed; her husband also, and he praises her: ‘Many women have done excellently, but you surpass them all.’ Charm is deceitful, and beauty is vain, but a woman who fears the Lord is to be praised. Give her of the fruit of her hands, and let her works praise her in the gates.”  ~Proverbs 31:28-31

No comments:

Post a Comment