Friday, May 24, 2013

Living or Existing?

“Are you living or existing?”
One of the church signs I pass by on my way home has had this question up for about two weeks now. I’ve seen it several times, but yesterday was the first time I actually gave it any real thought.
Am I living? Or am I just existing?
I have had a friend for the past several years who has not made any real progress in her life. She gets herself into relationships with guys who treat her badly. She enrolled in college twice and dropped out both times. She has a job, and then she doesn’t. Ever since I’ve known her, she’s been in this constant cycle. I’ve tried encouraging her….all of our circle of friends has tried to be there for her and give her guidance, but she never really takes any of our advice, and the cycle continues on. She’s not really living and she’s not really growing. She’s just existing.
Then there are the people who are very successful: they have great jobs, good kids, and lots of luxurious items. But all they do is leave for work, stay late, come home, eat a cold dinner, and then go back to bed. They have what appears to be a great life, but they aren’t actually living their life, they’re just existing.
I think at one point or another, we all hit periods in our lives where we just exist. We get into a routine, overwork ourselves, get tired, and before we know it we’re on autopilot. Go to work. Do the laundry. Watch a little TV. Go to bed. Go to church. Go to bed. Repeat the week. It’s pretty easy to just “exist”, but that is not what God intended for us.
“The thief comes only to steal and kill and destroy. I came that they may have life and have it abundantly.”  ~John 10:10
God never intended for His children to lead a mundane life. Sure, we have to do boring things like sit in a doctor’s waiting room or go to work. But our lives are supposed to be filled with joy and excitement! He gives us beautiful blessings so that we can experience life to the fullest!
After examining my own heart, I am sorry to say that lately I’ve just been existing. I haven’t really taken the time to enjoy life; I’ve just been putting one foot in front of the other. But after God opened my eyes yesterday to this truth, I’ve started asking Him to wake me up again—to help me really start to live again and see the beauty around me.
It can be so easy to slip into a state of existing, so I encourage you to ask yourself the same question: Am I living? Or am I just existing? And then ask God to help you re-learn how to truly live again.
“But let all who take refuge in You rejoice; let them ever sing for joy, and spread Your protection over them, that those who love Your name may exult in You. For You bless the righteous, O Lord; You cover him with favor as with a shield.” ~Psalm 5:11-12

No comments:

Post a Comment