Saturday, May 18, 2013

Swing....and a Miss

Has anyone ever told you life is hard? Because if not, I’m here to tell you: life can be stinkin’ hard some days.

I’ve written before about our quest to get out of debt. Our original plan was to be 100% debt-free by the end of 2014. Then we got a nice tax return, Roman made some great commission, and we were able to take a cruise and pay some serious debt down. So our goal was able to be moved up to June of 2014.

Cue: Life enters from stage right and takes up the. entire. stage.

Did I mention life is hard? Because if I haven’t yet, let me tell you: life can be stinkin’ hard.
I had to have knee surgery, and I know there is a not-so-nice doctor bill coming in the mail for me any day now. Roman is going to need some oral surgery and possibly braces, and God knows that’s going to cost us. And then, Duke all of a sudden needed surgery this week. He had a sore on his back that we couldn’t get him to leave alone, and it welled up into a giant red thing that we had to get cut off. After the fish hook incident, I thought it would only be around $150. After all, we wouldn’t be paying for emergency surgery this time. Oh no sister, try $400 (!!!!!).

Needless to say, I freaked out. And only one day after the credit line being 100% paid off, I had to do an emergency transfer of $400 into our checking account to pay for my dog-child. Hmph. Check out his battle scars: Only except now you have to imagine that half of those stitches are staples. Because shortly after me writing this post, he ripped out half his stitches and we had to pay another $40 to get the staples put in. Thanks Duke.



My poor baby. He sat in my lap all the way home from the vet’s office, he was so upset. And of course, I feel like a terrible dog-mom. And an awful budgeter on top of that.

So to all you other peeps out there who may or may not be in a quest to pay off some debt: life can come at you hard and fast. And it hits you hard when you least expect it, and often times when things are going super awesome. But don’t give up. Slow and steady wins the debt-free race. I can almost guarantee you that there will be set-backs. Flat tire? Probably. Cracked windshield? Been there. But you can’t just throw up your hands and call it quits just because life throws you a fast one. **This may or may not be a self-counseling session. Forgive me, I just revised our budget for the month for the ten-millionth time.**

Chin up all you debt-paying-people. Just keep trucking as best you can, and we’ll arrive at our destination sooner or later. Although, I can’t tell you when Roman and I will arrive at our destination now that we’ve had our big three setbacks, because I refuse to re-calculate our payoff dates. I’m still in denial. Ignorance, for the win!  ;)

"The wicked borrows and does not pay back, but the righteous is gracious and gives." ~Psalm 37:21

No comments:

Post a Comment