Monday, May 13, 2013

Opposites Attract





The saying that opposite people attract may have something to it. One thing I’ve noticed over our (almost) three years of marriage is that Roman and I think quite differently. And not just in a “he thinks like a man and I think like a woman” kind of way. I mean more along the lines of “is the glass half empty or half full” kind of way.
Roman is an optimist. I am a pessimist.
Example: There is a forecast for thunderstorms and possible severe weather tonight (hypothetically speaking, not really). I assume that we need to be ready to lock ourselves in the closet because we might get a tornado. Roman assumes that he’s going to sleep awesome tonight because it’ll be rainy/stormy outside.
Example: Duke has a bump on his back that we have to get removed tomorrow (for real). I am secretly freaking out because it could be cancer. Roman is not freaking out because he just thinks it’s an old sore that the dog wouldn’t leave alone.
Roman naturally sees the good side of everything and hopes for the best. I do not. Well, I hope for the best, but I assume the best is not going to happen.
I have been at war with my own hormones over the past nine months, and it’s been quite the struggle. (I may or may not go into deeper details at a later date, but for now, I’m going to leave it at that.) The other day in the car I was lamenting to Roman just how tired of it I was and how I felt like I was going to be taking all these medicines for the rest of my liiiiiiiffffeee. I went through all of my frustrations and aggravations and then I waited for him to agree with all of my concerns. But he didn’t. He sat there for a few seconds and then he basically said that he understood and he was slightly frustrated as well, but he wasn’t worried like I was. He said he knows it will all work out in the end.
God bless the optimistic people in this world.
This is one of those examples of how your spouse can make you into a better person if you let them. Because my husband takes my pessimistic thought process and shows me how to think more positively probably at least once a week. Sometimes it is annoying, I’ll admit. But sometimes, it helps me to calm down and see the other side of the picture that my narrow thinking can’t see. And I can tell you this: it’s a much prettier picture from his point of view.
"Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own."  ~Matthew 6:34 

No comments:

Post a Comment