Tuesday, April 16, 2013

The Big 1-0-0!!!!!

Holy moly. Today marks the 100th blog post I’ve posted. I went to school for accounting, so I’m all about some numbers. So please excuse me as I throw myself a miniature 100-post-party real quick. Because the number 100 seems monumental for some reason. *Jumps in time machine and goes back to kindergarten.*
Me: I hope we learn how to count to 100 this year.
Matthew: You can’t count to 100. If you did it would take you one billion kajillion zillion years.
Me: That’s not even a number.
Matthew: Is too. No one can count to 100 because it would take too long.
Me: My sister said she can.
Matthew: She’s lying.
Me: Oh.  :(

Well, take that Matthew. I did learn how to count to 100. And now I know how to count to 100 in Spanish too. And it did NOT take me one billion kajillion zillion years. *haterz gonna hate* And now I’ve written 100 blog posts too. Shablam! GET OFF ME BRO’

Okay, I’m calm now.

So anyways, I’ve had lots of thoughts and ideas for this blog over the almost one-year I’ve had it. And I would love love LOVE to have some of your input. Which is why I’ve created a short little survey at the end of this post so that you can give me your feedback and not have to worry about me vandalizing your house with sporks because you said something I didn’t like. (Totally kidding, I would never do that. I would use spoons instead.)

But seriously, here are some of my thoughts before you take the survey. Or if you don’t want to know what I think, you can go ahead and scroll to the bottom and click on the link. That’s cool too.

1) I love writing.

I always have. Ever since I’ve learned how to read and write I’ve been a writer. I’ve never had any issue writing…..in school I could plop down a five page essay with no problem and then turn around and help my friend write his. (PS: you know who you are, and you still owe me for that essay. >:l ) I’m not saying everything I’ve ever written is good….in fact some of it is just downright strange, but I’ve always liked it. I’ve thought about writing a book, but now I’m kind of getting away from that because I really have no idea what in the world I could write about that someone else hasn’t already written about. Plus I’m entirely too ADD to stick with just one topic for that long.

For a little while I thought about stopping the blog. I was having a hard time coming up with topics to write about……but after I got quite a few messages from friends/family demanding that I continue this blog I changed my mind (okay, asking…not demanding. And none of them knew that I was thinking about stopping so I took it as a “word from the Lord” type thing.) But I do feel like it is important for me to have some sort of a general theme…..I’m just not quite sure what it should be yet. Que the survey because your answers will help me know what you enjoy the most and what direction I should take this. Which leads me to number two….

2) FACT: my serious/spiritual posts get the most page-views by a long shot.

Prime example is my “50 Shades of Danger” post that I wrote back in June of 2012. Right now that post has gotten 254 page views, which is three times more than my average posts get. To me, that speaks volumes because although it was a very sensitive topic, almost all of my serious/spiritual posts get more hits. My first ever post is almost up to 200. The post I wrote this past August about God doing some major work in our lives is up to 71. A post I wrote about requesting prayer has 60. More recently, the marriage post I wrote this past Friday is already up to 48 hits and it hasn’t even been up a week. Almost every single one of my serious/spiritual posts get at least 50 page views, if not more. Whereas my light and short posts generally get about 20-30 hits max. (I’m not going to call them funny because…..well, sometimes they aren’t. Ha.)    ;)

3) Dreaming big…..

So this is where it all ties together. This is also where my parents give me a really stern look and probably desire deep-down to shake me until my brain rattles back into a logical pattern of thinking.

I would love to be a writer full-time. Wanna know my for-real big time dream? No? Too bad. I’m going to tell you anyways. I would absolutely love to just be a stay at home mom/full-time blogger. I read a lot and several of the bloggers I follow do just that. They make their money from free-lance writing for magazines/websites/etc. and through the affiliates on their blogs. Some of them own their own website, others just use BlogSpot (like me) or wordpress. It does take a lot of work, especially when they are just starting, but for me it is something that I am very interested in doing one day. Being able to stay home and raise my kids while doing something I love (writing) and making money from that would be my absolute dream job.

BUT, it takes a lot of work to get to a point where you are actually making money. You have to have a certain amount of site hits before companies will even consider paying you for advertisement space. And I 100% understand that I sound like a crazy person for writing any of this at all. After all, I have a great-paying job with benefits and all of that great stuff that American people lurve. To  mom and dad: don’t worry, I’m not quitting my job. Calm down. Please understand, I would never in a million years just quit my job before everything fell into place. I would have to be making a certain amount of steady income before Roman and I would even think about it. And trust me, if you know anything about me then you know that decision would be coated in serious prayer.

However, when I was praying about all of this a few weeks ago, God spoke clearly to me. He basically said “Sarah, you are asking me to do all of this, but you’ve got to be the one to start heading in the right direction. Don’t be afraid to dream big…..but more than anything don’t be afraid to chase after those big dreams. I can’t make you a full-time mom/blogger if you’re not going to do anything to get there.” So basically, that is the direction I’m heading. And if it’s not going to work out then that’s okay. If full-time blogging and stay-at-home motherhood is not what God wants for me then He is going to let me know one way or another. But I’m never going to know if I don’t ever try.

Alright, that’s enough of that. If you love me, *wink* then please click the link below and complete the survey. I promise it will only take a few minutes of your time and it is 100% anonymous. I also promise that I will not spork your house if you don’t have nice things to say.

OH, and I’m only going to leave this survey open until Friday afternoon, so please respond as soon as possible so I can enter you for the drawing of my 1,000,000,000 dollar prize. (Just kidding about the prize. Not kidding about the Friday deadline thing.)

THANK YOU SO MUCH FOR PARTICIPATING. Seriously, I should owe you all milkshakes. But I’m too broke for that.

“For I know the plans I have for you, declares the Lord, plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future. Then you will call on Me and come and pray to Me, and I will listen to you. You will seek Me and find Me when you seek Me with all your heart.” ~Jeremiah 29:11-13

2 comments:

  1. Took the survey! Hope your dream of stay at home mom and writer comes true!

    ReplyDelete