Friday, April 19, 2013

Through the Storm

Pssst, if you missed my post earlier this week, then you probably haven’t heard about the survey I created. So if you have a quick minute, please follow this link and take my short survey. I would really appreciate it!! Click here to take the survey!
It has been a rough week for America. Unless you live under a rock, then you know what I’m talking about. First, two bombs explode at the Boston Marathon, killing three, injuring over 180, and reminding all of us that there are people in this world who long to see America injured and broken. As I write this, the Boston police have killed one of the suspects associated with the bombing and have surrounded a home believed to hold the second suspect. Throughout the chase last night, one police officer lost his life and I believe another one was seriously injured.
As if that weren’t enough, a plant explodes in West, Texas, decimating everything within a four-block radius and killing an untold number of people….to include at least three firemen. My older brother used to be a fireman and my younger brother currently serves as a fireman, so the loss of three firemen in this tragedy hits awfully close to home.
I do not have any special words to give to you….no enlightened thoughts or explanations on why this has happened to our country. We can speculate and try to use logic to wrap our minds around all of this, but we will fail. Some things are just too big for our human minds to understand, and I believe this week is a perfect example of that. But rest assured, our God sees. And He knows what’s going on even as calamity takes place all around us.
There is very little we as the citizens of America can do in times like this. Some of us may help in the search and rescue efforts or in the clean up and rebuilding of communities, but the American people as a whole will not have an active role in these efforts. This often times leave us feeling a little bit useless and empty. So let me encourage you to do the one thing that means more than anything else: pray.
Pray for the victims and their families. Pray for healing for them and for our nation. Pray for guidance for our nation’s leaders as we navigate these uncertain times. Pray for God’s mercy and grace. Pray for our nation’s safety and well-being. Pray for comfort. Pray for peace.
Our prayers change things, whether we see a tangible difference right away or not. And in times like this, it is 100% necessary for us to fall to our knees in prayer. (Not that prayer is not necessary in the good times as well, because it absolutely is.)
So hold your family tight over the weekend, because as this week has demonstrated, life is so very short. Be slow to anger and quick to forgive, because there is no time to hold grudges. Show gratitude for what you have in this life, because we forget how truly blessed we are. But more than anything, spend some time in prayer for our country over the weekend.
I’ll close with one of my favorite songs. I think it is very relevant to what we as a nation have experience this week. It’s called “Cornerstone” by Hillsong.
-Verse 1-
My hope is built on nothing less
than Jesus' blood and righteousness
I dare not trust the sweetest frame
but wholly trust in Jesus' name

-Chorus-
Christ alone, Cornerstone
Weak made strong, in the Savior's love
Through the storm
He is Lord, Lord of All

-Verse 2-
When darkness seems to hide His face
I rest on His unchanging grace
In every high and stormy gale
My anchor holds within the veil
My anchor holds within the veil

-Verse 3-
Then He shall come with trumpets sound
Oh, may I then in Him be found
Dressed in His righteousness alone
faultless, stand before the throne
Lyrics copied from www.lyricsreg.com

“The Lord is close to the brokenhearted and saves those who are crushed in spirit.”  ~Psalm 34:18

No comments:

Post a Comment